Connecticut Filing Fees

What are the Business Filing Fees in Connecticut?

Starting a business in Connecticut means paying a variety of government filing fees. We’ve compiled the most common ones here so that you’ll know what to expect.


When you start a business in Connecticut, you’ll have to pay a variety of Connecticut filing fees. This guide will walk you through some of the most common ones to help you get your business up and running.

Step 1: Pay your Connecticut business’s initial filing fees

In Connecticut, forming a corporation or a limited liability company (LLC) requires filing a Certificate of Organization or Certificate of Incorporation form with the Secretary of State’s Business Services Division. The formation fee for LLCs and corporations are similar, and you can find the most current fee schedule on their Sectary of State’s official business services page.

The turnaround time for the state is about three weeks. If you want to speed things up, Connecticut lets you turn that three weeks into three days by requesting expedited handling. Expedited services cost extra.

If you are in a time crunch and don’t know the best way to handle this step, you can use our Expedited Filing Service and we’ll take care of the paperwork for you.

Step 2: Reserve your Connecticut business’s name 

It’s frustrating finding the perfect name for your business only to discover that another entity took the name you wanted to use. Connecticut lets you reserve your chosen business name for 120 days. Name reservation costs less than filing formation paperwork, and you can pay an additional fee if you want to transfer the name.

We can take care of this for you with Name Reservation Service.

Step 3: Reserve a “doing business as” name in Connecticut

Sole proprietorships aren’t required to file trade names, also known as DBAs (doing business as), in Connecticut if they’re operating under a different name than the owner’s legal name. If they do file, these trade names are filed with the city or town in which the sole proprietorship is located. As a result, fees can vary.

LLCs and corporations aren’t required to file to use a trade name either. They may do so, however, if they wish to transact business under any name other than the one the company is registered under. Again, fees vary from town to town.

Step 4: Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

You need an employer identification number, or EIN, if you want to open a business bank account, file tax returns, or hire employees. This number, which is issued by the IRS, is a federal number. Applying for an EIN is free through the IRS’s website, but if you don’t have the time or are confused about the process, we can obtain one for you with our EIN Filing Service.

Connecticut also requires registered businesses to have a state tax identification number. A business can file for this number with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services. Your business can also file here for permits to collect sales tax, rent rooms, or sell cigarettes. There’s no fee to apply for a tax identification number. However, any taxes due must be paid electronically from a bank account because credit cards are not accepted.

Step 5: Draft an operating agreement, corporate bylaws, or partnership agreement for your Connecticut business

An LLC’s operating agreement, a corporation’s bylaws, and a partnership’s agreement are all governing documents that spell out how the business will be run. It can include how members and managers (for LLCs) or officers and directors (for corporations) are chosen, how conflicts are resolved, and what will happen upon sale or transfer of an ownership stake in the business.

Businesses don’t have to file copies of their operating agreements with the state, and Connecticut is one of the few states that doesn’t require bylaws. Creating these agreements, however, paves the way for your business to run smoothly.

If you have an LLC and don’t know where to start in obtaining an operating agreement, you can use our Operating Agreement Template to get a jump start and begin tailoring one to your business’s needs.

Step 6: Apply for your Connecticut business’s necessary licenses and permits

The state of Connecticut handles statewide licensing through the Department of Consumer Protection. Depending on your industry or the type of business you run, you may be required to apply for a license or permit. Those entities include:

  • Health care
  • Engineering and construction
  • Food service
  • Gasoline
  • Architecture and interior design
  • Home improvement
  • Liquor
  • Medical marijuana
  • Real estate
  • Television and radio industries

In addition, local cities and towns may also require licenses and permits. It is difficult to determine every license and permit your company may need, but we have a tool that can help. Check out our Business License Report, which takes your business’s location, industry, and other factors to compile a list of the licenses and permits you may need.

Step 7: Pay registration fees for out-of-state businesses

Connecticut considers any business formed under the laws of another state or country to be foreign (out-of-state). Foreign corporations and LLCs must register with the state to do business in Connecticut.

Step 8: Check Connecticut’s annual report requirements and fees

All corporations, LLCs, limited partnerships, and limited liability partnerships must file an annual report with the Connecticut Secretary of State to state compliant. Our Annual Report Service makes it easy to meet this filing requirement.

Step 9: Keep your Connecticut business legally compliant

Connecticut’s businesses must report changes to their address or registered agent, which must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. Corporations must also report changes to their officers or directors.

Handling compliance issues can be distracting when you’re running a business. That’s why we offer an Amendment Filing Service. This service is also included in our Worry-Free Compliance Service, which can handle other state compliance requirements as well.

Let us help you keep your business compliant with Connecticut law

You have a lot to handle when you start a Connecticut business. Through our many business formation and state compliance tools and services, we can help you handle the paperwork while you focus on what matters: running and growing your business.


  • Are there penalties for paying my fees late in Connecticut?

    LLCs and corporations that do not pay fees on time may find their businesses dissolved by the state. These businesses may be unable to get a Certificate of Legal Existence and, as a result, may find it difficult to transact business.

  • What happens if I can't pay my fees to the Connecticut government?

    If you don’t pay fees and taxes due, the state may dissolve your business.

  • Who receives the fees for forming my Connecticut business?

    All fees for forming a Connecticut business go to the Connecticut Secretary of State.

  • What is usually the biggest fee I will pay when I form my Connecticut business?

    The largest fee that a Connecticut corporation pays is around $250 for the Certificate of Incorporation. A foreign corporation’s most significant fee is around $385 for its Certificate of Authority. Domestic and foreign LLCs usually top out at $120 for their initial filing documents.

  • What payment methods can I use to pay my LLC or corporation filing fees to the Connecticut government?

    Connecticut business filing fees can be paid online through the Secretary of State’s portal or by checks made out to “Secretary of State.”

Small-business owners

Ready to get started?

Ready to get started?

Get the fastest information, worry-free services, and expert support you need.

Start Now