Kansas filing fees

What Are the Business Filing Fees in Kansas?

Starting a new Kansas business involves paying various filing fees to the government. Prepare yourself by reviewing our discussion of the most common Kansas filing fees below.


Starting a business is exciting, and though you may be ready to dive right in and get to work, there is a decent amount of paperwork to get through first. You will need to take Kansas business filing fees into consideration when you’re calculating your initial start-up costs. Here is a rundown of the process to ensure you pay all of your Kansas business filing fees.

Step 1: Pay your Kansas business’s initial filing fees 

All statutory business entities must register with the state. These entities include general corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs), professional corporations, corporate partnerships, and limited liability partnerships. Choosing the type of business you want to form depends on your preference for management structure, taxes, industry, growth projections, and more. Each business entity has its own set of filing requirements. 

Initial filing fees are the payment for your business to become officially registered with the state of Kansas. Pay these fees to the Kansas Secretary of State and submit them online with your formation documents. Each entity will need a different type of form for formation.

  • Corporation: Articles of Incorporation 
  • Limited liability company: Articles of Organization 
  • Professional corporation: Articles of Incorporation (can’t be filed online) 
  • Limited liability partnership: Limited Liability Partnership Statement of Qualification 
  • Limited partnership: Certificate for Limited Partnership (can’t be filed online)

Processing for initial formation takes 24 hours for approval when filing online or 3-5 business days when filing by mail. Expedited processing is also available for an additional fee. If you need documents processed quickly, we can help make it happen with our expedited filing service

Step 2: Reserve your Kansas business’s name 

It’s important to reserve your name as soon as possible. Give yourself time to make sure the name you want is actually available and won’t be scooped up by a clever competitor. A Kansas business name may be reserved, if available, for 120 days for a non-refundable fee. We can take care of this for you with our name reservation service. That’s one more thing you can check off your list. 

Step 3: Reserve a “doing business as” name in Kansas

A “doing business as” name is commonly referred to as a DBA. This type of name is often used when a company wants to have multiple sectors under the same business umbrella, or in the case of a sole proprietorship, where the owner doesn’t want to use their own name as the name of the business. The State of Kansas doesn’t require you to register your DBA. However, DBAs may be registered in Kansas at the local level. 

Step 4: Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number. This number is used to identify a business entity and is necessary for you to file taxes. Obtain your EIN from the IRS, or simplify the process — we can do it for you. 

Step 5: Draft an operating agreement, corporate bylaws, or partnership agreement for your Kansas business 

Though there are no filing requirements or associated Kansas business filing fees, it’s important that your company draft the appropriate documents to detail the operations of your business. These documents provide information about the structure of the business, how to settle internal disputes, and much more. These are the most common Kansas business entities and their corresponding operational documents.

  • Corporation: corporate bylaws
  • Limited liability company: operating agreement
  • Professional corporation: corporate bylaws  
  • Limited liability partnership: partnership agreement 
  • Limited partnership: partnership agreement 

Our operating agreement template tool can help get you started.  

Step 6: Apply for your Kansas business’s necessary licenses and permits

Most businesses will need some sort of license or permit to operate. However, Kansas doesn’t require a general business license. The licenses and permits needed by your business will depend on the industry you’re in, your operational activities, and the location where you conduct business. Check all federal, state, and local regulations before beginning to operate. 

Finding all the required licenses and permits for your Kansas business could take a good amount of time searching the internet and calling various administrative agencies. Each license or permit will generally require a fee and will need to be renewed. Save precious time by using our Business License Report, and get a list of everything you need. 

Step 7: Pay registration fees for out-of-state businesses

If you’re an out-of-state business registering to operate in Kansas, you will need to file an Application of Registration for Foreign Covered Entity and submit all associated fees. You will also need to file an original Certificate of Good Standing from your home state and a cover letter with the name and phone number of a contact person. A Certificate of Good Standing verifies that you’re in compliance with all state regulations and have paid all necessary fees. 

Step 8: Check Kansas’s Annual Report requirements and fees 

Your Kansas business will need to file an Annual Report to remain in compliance with the Secretary of State. An Annual Report serves to update the state with any information about your business that may have changed. File this document online or by mail. There is an additional fee to file by mail. A year can pass by faster than you think, and it’s easy to forget to file your Annual Report. That’s ok. We can do that too. We have an annual report service to help you keep track of everything that is due, so you never miss a deadline. 

Step 9: Keep your Kansas business legally compliant

Sometimes the things that are best for you, in the beginning, aren’t the best for you as you grow and mature. This is the same in life and business. If you need to make changes to your formation documents there are forms you will need to file. Some changes may include:

  • The principal physical address of the business
  • Business mailing address 
  • Registered agent information
  • Change of officers
  • Business name change
  • Number of corporate shares
  • Member or manager changes 
  • Business purpose 
  • Change of business duration 
  • Other changes to the information in your business formation documents

We have a service specifically for helping you with these types of business amendments. We also have an all-encompassing Worry-Free Compliance service that includes two amendments annually.  

Don’t make business formation harder than it needs to be

There are a lot of administrative components that go into running a business. It’s worth it. Plus, you have us to take care of some of the stressful stuff. We’re here to help your business grow and thrive.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.


  • Are there penalties for paying my fees late in Kansas?

    Yes. If you file late, your Kansas business filing will be subject to late fees.

  • What happens if I can’t pay my fees to the Kansas government?

    If you fail to pay your Kansas business filing fees, you might have to pay penalties, or you may no longer be able to operate in the state.

  • Who receives the fees for forming my Kansas business?

    Pay your business formation fees to the Kansas Secretary of State at the time you file your formation documents.

  • What is usually the biggest fee I will pay when I form my Kansas business?

    Kansas business filing fees are subject to change. Fees depend on the nature of your business, operational activities, and municipality where business is conducted. In most cases, your business registration fee is the largest fee.

  • What payment methods can I use to pay my LLC or corporation filing fees to the Kansas government?

    Pay Kansas business filing fees by check or money order if mailed and online by credit card. Cash may be accepted in person.

Small business owners

Ready to get started?

Ready to get started?

Get the fastest information, worry-free services, and expert support you need.

Start Now