Nebraska Filing Fees

What are the Business Filing Fees in Nebraska?

Starting a business in Nebraska means paying a variety of government filing fees. We’ve compiled the most common ones here so that you’ll know what to expect.


Nebraska, like other states, charges a fee to form an official business entity. Additionally, these statutory entities like corporations and limited liability companies (LLCs) have to pay certain Nebraska filing fees in a number of different areas. Knowing what these fees are and when to pay them is a big part of keeping your Nebraska business state compliant. Therefore, having a good understanding of what fees you need to pay will help you budget your operating expenses for your Nebraska business and give you peace of mind. If you need to create your business, we can help with our LLC Formation service or Corporation Formation service.

Let’s take a closer look at the kinds of fees a Nebraska business owner might need to pay, and how we can help. 

Step 1: Pay your Nebraska business’s initial filing fees

Each registered business in Nebraska has to pay a formation fee when starting out. Your business won’t be official until you pay this Nebraska formation fee. The Nebraska Secretary of State collects this fee at the same time you file the forms used to create your registered business. 

The Nebraska Secretary of State charges various fees. Typically, the Secretary of State gives a discount to filers who use the state’s online registration portal called “eDelivery.” You can still file paper forms, either in person or by mail, but you will pay a premium to do so. 

The Nebraska Secretary of State’s office indicates that online filings only take one or two days to review. The staff will time and date stamp your document images when the office accepts them. You have to call the Secretary of State Business Services Division at 402-471-4079 to request expedited electronic filing.

Instead of worrying about this yourself, let us help you get the job done. With our Expedited Business Formation service, you will get your business formed officially in no time, without the hassle of calling the Secretary of State’s office or paying an additional filing fee to the state. 

Step 2: Reserve Your Nebraska business’s name

The Nebraska Secretary of State’s office says that it rejects initial filings when the new business has the same name as an existing business. Therefore, you should reserve your business name before filing the required documents. You can do this by researching potential business names, and after you’ve found one that’s available you can file an Application for Reservation of Name.

Filing an Application for Reservation of Name is not expensive. However, you can’t renew the application and it’s valid for 120 days, full stop. That gives you about four months to file the appropriate documents with the Nebraska Secretary of State to form your company with your desired name. You can still use the name you chose after 120 days, however, you run the risk of losing it to another business if you don’t reserve it. 

If this sounds complicated, take a look at our name reservation service to see if we can make things easier.

Step 3: Reserve a “doing business as” name in Nebraska

In Nebraska, you may register a “doing business as” (DBA) or trade name for your business. Using a trade name allows you to identify your business using a name that is different from its legal name. There are a variety of reasons you may want to do this, including using different trade names for different branches of the same company. For example, you might have a business called Nebraska Nutrition, Inc. But you want to use a trade name that helps you specifically market your vitamin line, which you want to name Nebraska Vitamin Shoppe. To use this secondary name, you would file an Application for a Trade Name and pay the applicable fee.

This is another thing we can take care of for you. Head over to our Nebraska DBA reservation service to learn more.

Step 4: Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues your EIN. The IRS uses the EIN to identify the party responsible for filing tax returns on behalf of businesses. 

Most businesses need an EIN. You need to acquire an EIN if you have employees, withhold income taxes, file an employment tax return, excise tax return, or file an Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms tax return. Additionally, corporations and partnerships need EINs to file taxes, as do other types of business organizations recognized by the IRS.

If you need an EIN, we can get it for you with our EIN registration service. Your time is better spent organizing and structuring your new business rather than go through the hassle of dealing with the IRS.  

Step 5: Drafting an operating Agreement, corporate bylaws, or partnership agreement

Every registered business in Nebraska has to file formation documents. Those documents are the foundation of the company. Operating agreements, corporate bylaws, and partnership agreements provide instructions for running the business. Having these documents in place helps ensure smooth sailing when your company inevitably encounters questions concerning how your business operates.

Limited liability companies in Nebraska have to file their Operating Agreements with the Secretary of State and pay the associated fee. Corporations and partnerships do not have a similar obligation to file their initial forms.

Not sure what information you need to put in an operating agreement? We have the solution for you. When you use our operating agreement template, you can draft an operating agreement for your Nebraska LLC quickly and easily. We provide the language and you select the terms you want to implement so you can run your LLC the way you want.

Step 6: Apply for your Nebraska Business’s necessary licenses and permits

Your business will likely need some type of license or permit to operate. Some states, counties, and municipalities could require you to get a general business license even though you’ve registered your business with the state. You can’t operate your business until you get a general business license if one is required in your region.

Nebraska doesn’t have a statewide general business license requirement. However, there might be numerous local permitting and licensing requirements you need to meet. Licensees and permits often have fees associated with them.

You might not know where to look to discover what types of licenses or permits you need.  The task is daunting. Fortunately, we can run a Business License Report that explains what permissions you need to open and operate your enterprise in the area you choose.

Step 7: Pay registration fees for out-of-state businesses

Businesses that formed in another state can operate in Nebraska. So-called foreign businesses have to file an Application for Certificate of Authority to Transact Business in Nebraska before they can operate here. Similarly, a company formed in Nebraska can operate in another state as a foreign business. 

Businesses that want to operate in another state usually have to obtain a Certificate of Good Standing from their home state. A Certificate of Good Standing indicates that the business formed in compliance with the laws of its home state and can lawfully operate there. You have to pay the statutory fee for this service as well. 

Step 8: Check Nebraska’s biennial report requirements and fees

Nebraska’s reporting requirements vary depending on the type of registered entity you chose. Limited liability partnerships and benefit corporations have annual reporting requirements. All other registered entities have biennial reporting requirements. However, some entities report on even years and others report on odd years. The Secretary of State charges a Nebraska business filing fee to file the report. 

Meeting your business’s reporting requirements is essential to remaining in compliance with Nebraska law. Failing to comply may result in the Secretary of State administratively dissolving your organization. That means you can’t legally do business in the state. Also, you need to pay additional fees if you’re delinquent with your reporting obligations. 

We can handle that. With our Annual Report service, we can help ensure that you file your report on time. 

Step 9: Keep your Nebraska business legally compliant

You may need to make changes to the structure of your business from time to time. Depending on what you change, you might need to file a form amending your formation documents. For instance, if you change your business name, you’ll need to file the appropriate paperwork with the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State charges a fee for this service. 

We can take the burden off of your shoulder and file these documents for you. Whether you choose our Amendment service or our Worry-Free Compliance service, which comes with two amendments every year, we’ll help your company stay in compliance with Nebraska law. 

We’re here to help you with your Nebraska compliance needs

From forming your Nebraska business, naming your business, getting your EIN, getting your licenses and permits, and amending your business documents, we’re ready to help you. Our formation services and business compliance tools are simple and easy to use. Give them a try and remove the stress from the task of complying with Nebraska law.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for information purposes only, and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. If you have specific questions about any of these topics, seek the counsel of a licensed professional.


  • Are there penalties for paying my fees late in Nebraska?

    The Nebraska Department of Revenue imposes fees for filing tax returns late. Additionally, you could pay a late fee for filing your biennial reports late. The government could dissolve your registered entity for failing to file timely.

  • What happens if I can’t pay my fees to the Nebraska government?

    You’ll fall out of compliance with Nebraska law if you don’t pay your fees. You should contact the Nebraska Secretary of State’s Office for more information.

  • Who receives the fees for forming my Nebraska business?

    Business fees are paid to the Nebraska Secretary of State.

  • What is usually the biggest fee I will pay when I form my Nebraska business?

    The business formation fee is typically the largest fee you’ll have to pay.

  • What payment methods can I use to pay my LLC or corporation filing fees to the Nebraska government?

    The Nebraska Secretary of State has an online portal that you can use to file your documents quickly. All fees can be paid by credit card or debit card. You could pay by check or money order if you mail your documents to the Secretary of State.

Small business owners

Ready to get started?

Ready to get started?

Get the fastest information, worry-free services, and expert support you need.

Start Now